March 09, 2012

Mental Events vs. External Actions

"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying." Ralph Waldo Emerson
I took a test today in AP Literature and it made me realize that not only does the dynamic relationship between Mental Events and External Actions exsist in works by Shakespeare but the relationship also exsists in everyday life.  In Hamlet we are able to see the character of Hamlet grow and mature through the things that he thinks and the events that he plays out in his mind, we also see those results in the way he interacts with people and the decisions that he makes.  I know that people are always growing, learning and maturing but I've noticed today that there is a distinct relationship between what goes on inside someone's head and what they do in everyday life.  Someone can talk with the utmost confidence and maturity and lead an entire nation through a depression and build up their army, however, it is when they use their power to attempt to wipe out an entire population that you see who they truely are and what they are truely made of.  I can tell you all I want that I am mature for my age, I can talk to you about medicine and politics and I can talk about my experiences and who they have made me, but don't take my word on it let me show you who I really am. Don't judge people by what they say, whether it is a good or bad judgement, let them show you how mature, how kind, and how smart they really are.  All to often we let people tell us what they want to about themselves and I am realizing that maybe it is time that instead we let people show us, because that is when you see what they are really made of.  What people do in their everyday lives is who they really are.  So be yourself and be the best self that you can possibly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

just let me know what you think...